The Miriam Hospital
A tradition of superior patient care
- About The Miriam Hospital
- For Patients & Visitors
- Our Centers & Services
- Our Locations
- For Our Neighbors
- Giving to The Miriam
The Miriam Hospital Awards and Accreditations
U.S. News & World Report Rankings
Urology services ranked nationally by U.S. News & World Report at 27th, on a list of 50 hospitals deemed to have the best urology services in the country.
We also received a high performing ranking for five procedures and conditions, including:
Five other adult programs were given the high performing distinction by U.S. News & World Report:
We are honored to have been given these prestigious accolades by such a respectable publication.
Featured Awards and Recognition
Our greatest reward is caring for our patients. That’s why we’re committed to turning treatment guidelines into lifelines.
- In 2019, U.S. News & World Report designated The Miriam Hospital a Best Regional Hospital and Top Hospital in Rhode Island and ranked its urology program 27th in the nation.
- The Miriam Hospital was included on the IBM Watson Health Top 100 Hospitals for 2019. Divided into four categories, the list grouped The Miriam among the top 15 “major teaching hospitals” in the nation.
- In late 2019, The Leapfrog Group named the The Miriam Hospital a "Top Hospital" in the United States. The Miriam was one of just 120 hospitals to make the list and was grouped among the top 55 teaching hospitals in the country. In November, 2019 The Miriam won its eighth semi-annual "A" grade for hospital safety from Leapfrog.
- The Intensive Care Unit at The Miriam Hospital was recognized in 2019 with the gold Beacon Award for Excellence, the highest designation conferred by The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses (AACN).
- The Total Joint Center at The Miriam Hospital, in 2019, once again earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for Advanced Certification for Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement.
- In 2018 The Miriam Hospital reached an aggressive goal of treating stroke patients with 85 percent or higher compliance to core standard levels of care as outlined by the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association for two consecutive calendar years.
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Rhode Island named The Miriam Hospital a Blue Distinction Center for knee and hip replacement in 2018. The honor is a recognition of expertise in delivering quality care and improved patient safety. For 2018, Blue Cross also designated The Miriam as a Blue Distinction Center + for bariatric surgery for expertise and cost-efficiency in delivery of specialty care.
- In 2018, The Miriam Hospital was once again ranked No. 1 in Rhode Island in the U.S. News & World Report annual review of Best Regional Hospitals. The magazine also designated The Miriam as a “high performer” in the areas of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), colon cancer surgery, heart failure, hip replacement, knee replacement, and in the specialties of geriatrics and pulmonology. The hospital has been named a Best Regional Hospital for four consecutive years.
- Continuing its excellence in stroke care, The Miriam Hospital in 2018 received top honors from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s “Get With The Guidelines" stroke program -- a "Gold-Plus" quality achievement award and “Target: Stroke Honor Roll Elite” award. The Miriam has been honored by the association virtually every year for more than a decade.
- The Miriam Hospital was named the best in Rhode Island for total joint replacement by CareChex in its 2018 Hospital Quality Rankings, a national survey.
- The Miriam Hospital was named by Becker’s Hospital Review in 2016 as one of 100 hospitals across the country with great orthopedic programs.
- The hospital was recognized by Becker’s Hospital Review in 2016 as one of 53 hospitals across the country with the lowest heart attack mortality rates.
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute earned the Outstanding Achievement Award from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer in 2015, 2013, and 2012.
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute sites at Rhode Island Hospital, The Miriam Hospital and Newport Hospital was named to Becker's Hospital Review 2015 “100 Hospitals and Health Systems with Great Oncology Programs.”
- The Lifespan Cancer Institute at Rhode Island Hospital was recognized in both 2015 and 2012 by the Quality Oncology Practice Initiative Certification Program for delivering high-quality patient care.
- The Intensive Care Unit at The Miriam Hospital earned a silver-level Beacon Award for Excellence from The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses.
- The Miriam Hospital received the Partner Recognition Award from Practice Greenhealth in 2013.
- The Miriam Hospital was voted "Best Hospital" in The Providence Journal's 2017 Reader's Choice Awards.
Accreditations and Certifications
- 2015 to 2019, The Miriam Hospital is one of only four hospitals nationwide to achieve Magnet designation five consecutive times. It was redesignated in 2015 for another four years. This is the highest nursing credential given, recognizing excellence in professional nursing.
- In 2017, The Total Joint Center at The Miriam Hospital received The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for Advanced Certification for Total Hip and Total Knee Replacement,
- The Miriam Hospital’s Center for Bariatric Surgery has been a Center of Excellence in Bariatric Surgery since 2011 and was accredited in 2014 and reaccredited in 2017 by the American College of Surgeons Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program as an adult and adolescent center for weight loss surgery.
- In 2016, the Joint Commission recertified The Miriam Hospital as an advanced Primary Stroke Center.
- The Center for Bariatric Surgery received the Center of Excellence designation from The Clinical Sciences Institute of Optum in 2015.