The Miriam Hospital
A tradition of superior patient care
- About The Miriam Hospital
- For Patients & Visitors
- Our Centers & Services
- Our Locations
- For Our Neighbors
- Giving to The Miriam
The Olive Oil Health Initiative of The Miriam Hospital at Brown University
Supporting the Olive Oil Health Initiative
All funds donated to this initiative will be used directly for education, advocacy, and research. The initiative will be overseen by Mary M. Flynn, PhD, RD, LDN, an associate professor of medicine (clinical) at Brown University and a research dietitian at The Miriam Hospital.
This initiative will have several focuses related to extra virgin olive oil. It will involve:
- education of the health benefits of extra virgin olive oil through lectures for the general public and the science community, including physicians and medical students at The Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University;
- advocating for the use of extra virgin olive oil in preventive medicine;
- promoting the use of extra virgin of olive oil in meal preparation by providing cooking demonstrations of plant-based olive oil recipes from a diet developed by Mary M. Flynn, PhD, RD, LDN.
Projects that will be supported by this initiative include:
- conferences for medical continuing education involving the health benefits of olive oil and practical information for dietary treatment of chronic diseases;
- continued cooking programs of olive oil based recipes at food pantries and other agencies that serve low-income clients;
- new cooking programs at Brown University for undergraduates and The Warren Alpert Medical School for medical students;
- research on the health benefits of olive oil as part of a plant-based, olive oil diet for primary and secondary prevention of heart disease, cancers, kidney stone development, and for healthy weight management.